Saturday, October 27, 2007

Quick garage sale finds.

Last Saturday ...

I hit on far away garage sale early - they didn't really have anything. Nice Asian - Filipino? people though.

And then I saw some other garage sales while on the way driving to another place - stopped and got HELLO KITTY HEAD EASTER EGGS!!! Still in the package!

Dunno why that made me excited but it did. She wanted $1 for them - I think they were originally $1.39 or something at Target this year. So I offered 25¢ and she took it. Yay!


Then I kept seeing a BUNCH of signs for another sale and decided just to turn around and go to it. It was a cute little neighborhood, old, probably, so the streets were quite narrow. And it was crowded.

The sale was in the driveway/carport and was SO organized! Everything set out neatly, presented well, hung nicely on the fence, labeled, priced, everything. And it was all cute and shabby dabby yabby chic!

The freaky thing was when I walked up, the daughter (about my age, maybe a few years older) made the comment that I looked "SO familiar!" Um, if I had a dollar for every time I heard that, I could buy a plane ticket to England and back. Heh. Pretty sure I didn't know her, but she said maybe I just looked like a friend of her husband's. Probably did.
(I had the same thing happen to me at Goodwill once, with an employee there, and then a couple weekends ago when I went to Chuck E. Cheese's, a random man came up and chucked me on the shoulder and said, "Hey, nice to see you again!!!" Weirdo. He thought I was someone he had run into and started talking to that morning. "Same face, same clothes!" apparently. Oy. And he was a nurse and apparently had "learned to read people really well" and he thought I was sensitive and cared a lot about the kids (after I told him I was a teacher) and other stuff that I dismissed because I was starting to feel annoyed. Okay, enough non-sequitur tangent.)

I had my eye on a blue and white ceramic dish, but it had stains and crazing and junk on it so I passed. But I picked up a cute little Royal Albert Old Country Roses dish, to do with my teacups I bought on eBay.

(This one is obviously not my picture, as I have no stand :P). The dish was $1, and there was also a box of salt and pepper shakers by the cashbox table, and so I got a little cream-colored set of shakers with gold painted accents for 25¢.

A young teenage boy then walked up to the table with the blue dish I'd been eyeing - it was $2, I guess? - and he asked about a pair of metally, stein-looking shakers and the nice lady said he could have them for free if he bought the dish.

And he did.

I also got the lady's number because there was a HUGE gorgeous upholstered/padded rocking chair that was marked $100 and I WANTED IT. But they were having the sale the next day (Sunday) as well so I told her I'd call her. I just found the number but never did call her the next day. I might try calling her today. She said she would consider going down to $75 but that's still kind of a lot, despite it being a BIG, BEAUTIFUL rocking chair. Painted a nice shade of green, and with a pretty, yellow flowered print on the headrest and seat. Argh.

Oh! One more thing - with my newfound addiction to Depression glass, I found THIS at the thrift store for $1.95+tax:


Does it look like a martini glass, or does it look like a martini glass??? I hunted around a bit looking for another, and didn't see one, and almost put it back, since I wasn't sure I had enough cash.

I am very glad I got it, as it is a "crystal" (read: clear) glass Miss America pattern comport/compote! Book price $18, I guess, but it certainly doesn't sell for that on eBay. Maybe $3 with $6 shipping, something like that? But it is a gorgeous display piece regardless, and I think I love it in the clear. The pink ones are going for $12+ and such. The detail is great!

Off to unload the car so I can throw more junk in the back after my rounds today.

1 comment:

  1. Hello! I think you need to do a segment on Oprah about bargain shopping! Anyhoo-I had dinner with Heather S. from high school the other day. It has been 12 years, can you believe that?!?! We are planning a mini-reunion coming up probably mid-Jan (weekend brunch perhaps, so Lauren and Suz can join in). More info soon to come, but try to keep the calendar open so you can join!
    Tiff

    ReplyDelete