Saturday, November 03, 2007

Horribly embarrassed.

So, it was about 8:40 and I hadn't eaten dinner and had weird rampant cravings for cheap, nasty, quick'n'dirty Chinese food. I looked up some places in the area (not familiar with what's around here so far) and found a nice little place - I was just happy they were open!!

Talked for a bit with the nice Chinese lady there, who mentioned that she wouldn't have guessed *I* was Chinese, because apparently "people don't look like they used to anymore, you can't tell these days anymore."

I would agree.

So, I got the eggrolls I was craaaaaaaaaving (I swear I would have made a run down to Jack in the Box if they didn't have any, because I was darn near salivating for those), and the nice orange chicken, and fried rice, and the total was $5.40, and I ended up having exactly ... um, $5.09 in my wallet.

WHAT THE HECK!!!!

I love the convenience of POS (point of sale, people, not the other p.o.s.!) but it seems like so many times I end up needing cold, hard, cash - for school lunch, yard sales and garage sales, the thrift store ... and this place was cash only too. They had an ATM machine but it was $1.50 charge. GAH.
So I handed them the five and left the food on the counter and told them I'd give them the rest as soon as I went out to get the rest - and the chick looked at the clock and apparently they were closing in 10 minutes. Gosh darn it.

But you know what? The other chick that had just come out and was behind the counter told me not to worry about it and I swore to them that I would come back and pay it next time I was in there and that was so incredibly stinking nice of her.

So I will be back.

I didn't even finish it all, which, I mean, come on - for those of you that know me and my relationship with foooooooooooooooood ... well, that is just unheard of.

Or maybe it was because of the rest of that liter of Pepsi that I polished off when I ended up having to buy it at Rite-Aid this morning so I could withdraw cash with the debit card so that I could pay $3 for the set of 4 pink swirl glass goblets (likely Arcoroc, since they were imprinted "France") and two old, dirty baby/doll dresses.

HEEE!! I love little baby/toddler/children's dresses and things now. I am still meaning to post about my weird antique flea market experience a couple weeks ago (the day of the start of the big recent wildfires, sadly), since that's when I bought my first ones and had such a lovely talk with that nice lady.

Anyhoo, the dresses I got today were a great find because I went to take one last look in the garage (that's where I found them, when I was just looking for a stool!!!) and there was this stuffed cardboard box of nasty rags, basically. It was all doll clothes and hankies that had been converted to like, grease rags. (Better than the random pair of BOXERS I inexplicably found myself handling when I was digging through a box of what I THOUGHT were towels and tablecloths and aprons earlier in the sale!) It was kind of a pity, because some of the fabrics were really cute and it all looked cheery and vintage and everything, but boy was it all in a sorry state.

It was worth digging through, though. Everything in the garage (and kitchen) was 50% off, with everything else 20% off (guess they started yesterday), and I totally just stumbled upon it when I saw the sign from the major cross street intersection. So weird, since the one I went to last week was right around the corner and it was like deja vu all over again. So the one dress was only 50¢ so I will practice washing vintage fabrics (i.e., experimenting with bleach!) on it and see how I do.

Because I got a gorgeous, lovely, undeniably tattered quilt last week that perhaps I paid a little too much for but I have not fallen in LOVE with some random weird old item like that in a long, long time.

Quilt post to come shortly.
But for now: aren't these glasses cute?? :)


No comments:

Post a Comment