Saturday, February 09, 2008

Mugs 'n stuff

The other thrifting post reminded me!!!

Last week I got a set of 3 saucers for about $2. I need to take a pic, but they were "milk glass", with a fluted rim, with 1 in pink and 2 in blue.

They go with the set of mugs I got at an estate sale!! Whee. Need to find those. NO idea where they are. *sob*

I also need to find these:
I got a set of 3 for $1. It was the white, pink, and salmon-colored ones. I didn't realize there were other colors and stuff, especially that pretty blue! It was at an estate sale where WENDY spent the night and came with me!

That estate sale was so sad. :( The house was mostly empty, stuff was just laid out on the floor in the kitchen, and along the walls, chimney, built-in seats, etc., at the perimeter of the living room.

There were two guys running it, along with a younger woman, and the one guy I talked to just seemed SO sad. He was saying how he'd never done one of these before, and just hoped it went well.

It was certainly one of the smallest sales I've ever been to, and it was even hard to find the place.

The "highlight," however, was when I was digging in a storage shed next to the garage at old bags of kitchen towels and linens and other cruddy blankets and carpets and things. I found a couple cute 40's/retro tablecloths, and then I looked at the floor and LITERALLy saw a pile of money.

I was like, what????? A wad of cash, just laying there.

Oy, oy, oy.

I couldn't help but count it. :P I figured it was probably dropped by one of the people running the thing, since I was pretty sure it hadn't been there a while ago, and before I'd gone it, one of the dudes had come out.

So I walked back into the kitchen and handed the money over to the man, and told him how much I'd found and hoped it was the right amount.

His face dropped and went WHITE. Yowzers. He looked like he was about to faint. I think it had fallen from an envelope he'd been carrying with him to make change.

That poor man!! Geez louise. Going through all that.

So I hope I made his day and sometimes people just need reassurance that there are honest people in the world.

Also, it helped me bargain down the price of those mugs. Heh. I think at that point, he ALMOST would have just let me have stuff for free because I found the money! He made some comment to that effect, but in the end, I think I got the mugs, a couple other things, and the tablecloth and maybe some handkerchiefs for $5 total or something.

So those Glasbake mugs are the same color as the taller coffee mugs I got at another sale; those were $1 each and go with the saucers I got as a pack.

I still kick myself every time I think of that sale because I passed on the stinkin' pink Christmas ornaments!! Just pink glass balls, but geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeez, the prices people pay for stuff like that on eBay!!! Shoulda woulda coulda.

Then again, with the RIDICULOUS new feedback policy AND the increase of fees and stuff, I think it will be a mass exodus from eBay. Sellers can't hardly make money anymore.

Mm.

Anyway, I also found another one of these!!


I actually don't have this His/Hers set. They are so cute and vintage-y, though. I kind of love them.

The latest one I got is "Brother." Heh, for the one I don't have.

The first one I found was Al.

What a nice, strong name. I think this was at one of Tom's estate sales. 50¢, I think.

And would you believe it, the next one I found was BUD.

Yes. Bud. Al and Bud. I saw it and knew it was meant to be. How could I not?

All I need is "Peg" and "Kelly."

HAHA!!

But now I have Brother. And I will keep my eye out for weird kitsch like this because my affection for Disneyland was reignited.

2 comments:

  1. damn. you do so much freakin' shopping... but you always find such great deals! how do you find the time?! i'm going to have to tag along one of these days.

    and i still haven't seen your apartment!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I indeed do a lot of shopping ... but I've curbed myself a lot lately!

    I have a job where I can leave relatively early, and then I just make a big swoop and hit the places on the way home. It is a "hobby."

    Actually, the area where I moved is good for getting cheap stuff, especially once you go further east towards the 710.

    I like to think I get great deals but I feel like other people often get better ones.

    You are more than welcome to join me one of these mornings for Vets Stadium!! That place is awesome.

    I don't know what you like so I don't know what you consider a great deal, but I love the old stuff. Heh. I've also heard Goldenwest College has a really decent flea market every Saturday and Sunday, but I've never made it over there yet. Maybe this weekend!!!

    You must come over to the apartment!! But I need a massive cleaning like you wouldn't believe. Just let me know when you are free!

    ReplyDelete