Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Review of Johnny Rebs', but I have no pics!

I've only been to Johnny Reb's one other time before today, with Jen for breakfast. Apparently it is quite a novelty to throw your peanut shells on the floor.

Anyway, overall? I must say, I was QUITE disappointed! I'll go there again for the atmosphere, probably, but I know I won't be getting cravings.

The ABSOLUTE best thing there was the BBQ sauce. Yup.

So, I ordered Brunswick stew, PROBABLY because I read about it in Mom's Guideposts while I was at the house last weekend, and I also got the Cajun Sausage with extra sides: hush puppies, Southern slaw, Cajun rice, mashed potatoes, and then extra hush puppies and Cajun rice.

I actually haven't tried the Brunswick stew yet, since I haven't been hungry for dinner.

The first thing I had was the hush puppies, and maybe I've had other hush puppies, elsewhere, but these were surprising. Basically round cornmeal balls that were deep fried. I think they may have had some pieces of onion in them. Somehow I was expecting chunks of corn.

Anyway, they are dark and crunchy on the outside, soft and crumbly on the inside. But just ok. And you only get 2. Okay, so maybe the inside is a bit dry also.

Then I tried the Cajun rice, and it is rather spicy. Looks a bit like brownish Mexican/Spanish rice, and I am sorry, but I am no fan of bell peppers, especially in my rice! So hmm.
Honestly? If you want some nummy Cajun rice, I HAVE to recommend Popeye's Chicken!
I've never actually HAD their chicken, I'm always drawn in by their Crawfish Festival, but I love their rice. And the Cajun fries are nice too, just like shoestring fries that taste like curly fries do. Oh! And the Crawfish Etouffee is not that bad either. The one I always go to is actually run by a very sweet, unassuming Korean man, which always cracks me up. A Korean dude running a nationwide franchise of LOUISIANA Cajun food in LA-suburb Southern California. Heh.

Then there was the mashed potatoes. I mean, when I first got my to-go order, I was confused, cuz I didn't know what everything was supposed to look like, so I had to ask the waitress, just to check. But apparently the Brunswick Stew is dark brown, and the mashed potatoes and gravy are more like the color of oatmeal. A very light gravy.

It was okay. I could definitely taste a lot of cheese in the mashed potatoes, and it had some real chunks in it. Just so-so. I Looooooooooooooooooooooooove Kentucky Fried Chicken's mashed potatoes, and gravy especially.

The slaw was decent, with some random large pieces of cabbage. Very comparable to that at Kentucky Fried Chicken. I love the slaw there now, and didn't care for it as a kid. The KFC slaw has carrots and is definitely sweeter (probably why I like it more), and chopped much more finely. Both were rather juicy with the white stuff/dressing.

Turns out you get ONE Cajun sausage link for $9.xx, and it comes with hush puppies, slaw, and Cajun rice. There were also two little containers - one had some dark beans, and the other had the BBQ sauce. The sauce is seriously great! The sausage was okay - pork, carrots, I think, and chunks of potato. It was fine with the sauce.

I'll try the stew next and see if it's worth reviewing.

But overall, out of perhaps 5 stars, I'd give JR a 3. 5 for atmosphere and service, and 2 or 3 for the food.

:)

*edited to add: I just tried the Brunswick Stew (they gave it to me in a tall styrofoam cup!) and it's quite decent. A little sweet as well. It'd probably taste a lot better piping hot, but I'm too lazy to reheat it now. So, yay. I am such a soup and stew and chowder fan anyway, you can't hardly ever go wrong. Except with that WEIRD tomato salmon concoction I tried in Vilnius, Lithuania, waiting out a storm ... don't know what possessed me to order it in the first place, anyway.

And I just had a thought - I'd forgotten about Lucille's. That place is definitely very yummy, and I love the atmosphere and decor there, too, especially outside! As a matter of fact, that's kind of how I envision my own porch and loungey backyard area to be some day. AWESOME garlic mashed potatoes.


*the end*

No comments:

Post a Comment