Friday, January 25, 2008

The Rose and the Beast

I picked this up at the thrift store, but after reading through all the stories (except maybe one), I decided to put it back.

I just HAD to post about it, though.

I've never heard of this book, or this author, and it was a La Habra school library discard. Hm. I believe it would be considered young adult fiction. The author essentially rewrote classic fairy tales, titling each with a single word.

Her writing style is rather hypnotic and mesmerizing, and what I love is that the stories are short and can be digested in chunks. I lean more towards that type of writing these days. I can't remember the last time I attempted a full novel.

One of the first stories is called "Tiny." Just reading that alone, ESPECIALLY considering the ending, made me want to buy the book right then and there. I still completely and utterly love that story.

Some of the other stories are very disturbing, though.

And I especially hate, detest, abhor, despise, and recoil at stories with completely vague endings. I HATE that. I LIKE resolution. And I especially prefer/insist on happy endings.

So "Ice" leaves me in a bit of a muddle.

I love fairy tale retellings, and seem to be on that track lately. I nearly bought the completel collection of Grimm's fairy tales yesterday at another thrift store, but I DON'T NEED MORE BOOKS.

I do, however, admit to being unable to resist classic Peter Rabbit collections. There were three at the thrift store today, and I bought 2. One was big, with a slipcover, and STILL $10 AFTER 50% off, and the other was only $3. The third was EVEN bigger, with awesome pictures, but it was like, $7.95 or something, AND it had an inscription on a Christmas tag.

I should read the inscriptions, though, eh? Often enough they are from the author.

But, well, somehow I was PRETTY sure it was not Beatrix Potter on a Christmas tag!

Anyway, The Rose and the Beast, by Francesca Lia Black.

An interesting read. I'm recommending it and would love to hear reactions from any of you!!!

If you want something even SHORTER and more humorous, might I suggest "Politically Correct Bedtime Stories," by James Finn Garner.


Such. A. Classic! Good times in high school, good times.

:)

2 comments:

  1. i ordered the book last night from amazon! after reading the reviews, i think it's my kind of book. i'll write again after i get it and read it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello!!

    Nice to "see" you. :)

    I also followed your links to your blogs and read the others ones!

    Whoo hoo.

    Yeah, I remember picking up nice literature in high school and stuff, but lately ... there's not much that I like.

    I really was kind of impressed by her fluid writing style in this book, though, it was just such a random pickup.

    And it's short, and easy to get through.

    Thank you for posting and I hope you like it!! I might take a look at some of her other stuff; APPARENTLY she is rather famous.

    See you!

    ReplyDelete